Working Hours: Monday - Friday; 6am - 2pm
OT: Case by Case basis
This posting is for a Development Technician within the Process Services and Process Development Tools group. Position involves, but is not limited to: Setting up hardware and equipment daily for pilot plant type equipment in a Development environment. Automatic and Manual handling of raw materials to create custom batches of product based on recipes submitted by project teams, moving raw materials in buckets and mixing and mulling batches using manual methods and automatic mixing/mulling equipment, Extruding, cutting and manually handling extruded parts on a daily basis. Drying of parts using microwave and conventional air drying techniques and collecting data. Thoroughly clean all equipment prior to day end. Make sure that all materials and equipment required for the next day are ready to go before leaving. Technician role requires interaction with both Project personnel and other Process technicians, Engineers and Scientists to achieve objectives in a Pilot line environment as well as in laboratories. This technician role will primarily focus on forming related projects within the manufacturing process, but can extend beyond into other areas.
• Setting up hardware and equipment for multiple runs per day
• Moving & storage of raw materials
• Mixing, mulling, cleaning
• Extruder setup, operation, cleaning and maintenance
• Dryer setup, operation, cleaning and maintenance
• Die Washer setup, operation, cleaning and maintenance
• Shift coverage
• Using Excel for preliminary data analysis
• Development and execution of experiments designed to drive at root cause or understanding of process issues.
• Mining plant systems for data and organizing data
• Develop a knowledge base for forming, dies, extrusion and related hardware technologies by working with area resources.
Required Education and Years of Experience:
• 2 year Associate of Applied Science Degree in a technical field strongly preferred
• 3+ years’ experience a technical, manufacturing, or lab setting
• Prior ceramic substrate/filter manufacturing experience
• Manufacturing plant experience - successful applicant needs to be able to interact with operators and key receivers.
• Knowledge of the current ceramic substrate/filter manufacturing process is a plus
• Previous extrusion or ceramic forming experience
• Ability to develop, monitor and execute designed experiments
• Ability to interact with all levels within the organization (good people skills)
• Effective communication skills (verbal and written)
• Team player
Manager Must Haves:
• Technically curious, self-motivated and be able to work with minimal supervision
• Strong organization skills
• Able to manage multiple priorities at once
• Strong logistical skills
• Some equipment / process aptitude with ability to troubleshoot and characterize key process drivers.
• Able to work with data, such as Excel spreadsheets, and communicate results from data.
• Able to give direction to others (leadership skills)
• Strong attention to detail
*Job is physical in nature. Must be able to lift without assist 35 lbs.